Sunday, March 2, 2008

Our gaze fills the universe

Proof that this blog, like life, is "not just about one thing", will follow.

I love the night sky. I have for a long time. Perhaps my first great experience with the heavens, ironically enough, occurred alongside my best friend and blogging partner Jared, many years ago. We went with Jared's dad out into the street near his house and examined some celestial objects, including a comet that was in the neighborhood.

That said, I saw something neat during the course of my daily rummaging through the internet. Microsoft has developed a free software suite called World Wide Telescope that will offer an interactive horizon-to-horizon view of the universe, patched together from imagery from the planet's greatest telescopes. This software looks similar to Google's fantastic Google Earth suite in that it is a free and easily navigable way to look around at accumulated data.

Keep an eye on the WWT's website (linked below), the software launches sometime this Spring. And keep looking up!

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-microsoft-unveils-worldwide-telescope

No comments: